The other night I finished up my second page for Neffie’s quiet book. I used a template from Serving Pink Lemonade to cut out the boy and clothes. I stitched on basic facial features, added the underwear, and then stitched him to the felt page. The purple pocket at the bottom is for storing his outfits.
The felt ornaments I was making got me started thinking about making a little book for my Neffie. Apparently these sorts of things are called Quiet Books, and there are about a gajillion on the interwebs already.
I have several page ideas already, but I made my first actual page tonight — an animal abacus.
No one call the Sewing Police, I know the stitching is all cray-cray on the sides, but I was going more for reinforcement than looks. Neffie’s 2, he don’t care. 🙂
I sewed the ribbons threaded with animal beads onto a sheet of felt. In the interest of safety (so Neffie doesn’t get the beads off and eat them), I used some glue and some scrap pieces of felt on the back to cover over the sewing to hopefully give it more strength. Then I used strips of felt on the front to cover over where the ribbons are sewed on.
When I make another page I will sew the pages together so all the stitching and stuff on the back is covered. So stay tuned for more pages.
It’s been awhile since I’ve made anything, so Saturday I cleared out a little space on my craft table (cluttered with partially finished projects, sigh) and made a few ornaments.
Coming soon to a Christmas care package near you:
Sifting through a box of felt I found printouts of clip-art in various shapes I’d printed off the Web last year, so I selected stars and cut out two sizes of paper templates. I just used felt, embroidery floss, bits of ribbon, beads and buttons. I had fun varying the colors of thread and trying out different details based on what I had on hand from those previously mentioned unfinished/unstarted projects.
There are a ton of felt ornament tutorials on the Interwebs, and I don’t claim to have invented this idea. 🙂 Check out Pinterest for more inspiration.
Paper sack book
I based this off of this post from Our Daily Craft, though I didn’t really follow those instructions. I used wine sacks (yay for reusing!) instead of lunch bags, and I sewed my binding rather than hole-punching. I like the look of the sewn binding, but if you try it, keep in mind that it is really hard to punch through a stack of sacks. I used a huge quilting needle and after starting the needle I had to use the table for leverage to press the needle all the way through.
I’m using this book for collecting little things that make me happy or inspire me. So far inside I’ve included images I like, notes from people, and a little bit of very imperfect freehand embroidery I did that says “Hope is the thing with feathers…” I like the pockets the folded sacks create because I feel like I have a lot of room to expand and stash things.
Mice cat toys
I made 4 of these (the first one I made is missing from this picture because a cat has already played with it and stashed it somewhere) just for funsies out of scrap fabric. I just cut out a template from chipboard, traced it onto the back of the fabric pieces, cut them out, put right sides facing together, sewed it nearly all the way around, turned it right side out, stuffed it with polyfill, tucked the tail in there and sewed it the rest of the way shut. I liked that I was using up scraps and that because they are cat toys I didn’t feel like they had to turn out perfectly since they’re just going to get clawed and bitten and loved to death anyway.
The kitties really enjoyed them; Good Kitty brought hers over to play fetch, then took it to her bed later. Awww. I know, I’m edging closer to Crazy Cat Lady status, LOL.